With 2016 fast approaching, it’s time to sit down and make a list of New Year’s resolutions! It’s a time-honored tradition, dating back to the ancient Romans… and I have a hunch that even they tended to veer off track throughout the year. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology found that 6 months into the year, only 46% of resolvers were still sticking to their pledge.
So, why aren’t we doing better at keeping our resolutions? Experts who have studied resolution-making say that most failures in keeping resolutions come when we make our goals too general, rather than specific (i.e. saying “I resolve to exercise more” as opposed to “I will walk 30 minutes, 5 times a week.”) Other times, people set up completely daunting resolutions and become overwhelmed so we simply give up. We know that by making specific and realistic resolutions for 2016, this can easily be the best year for you yet! Here are 10 New Year’s resolutions that will improve your life and that you can actually keep.
1. Lose 10% of your current weight – Losing just 10% of your current weight has incredible health benefits. It improves your heart, lowers the risk of diabetes, decreases the risk of certain types of cancer, develops healthy habits, and improves your mentality! For specifics on many benefits of losing the 10%, check this out.
2. Visit a place you’ve never been to- Many people choose “travel more” as a resolution. Choose a specific place you’ve been longing to see, prepare your budget, and head off on your adventure!
3. Master a new skill- What’s one thing you’ve always wished you had learned to do? Knit? Rock climb? Play the piano? Mastering a new skill will help fuel your creativity and inspire you in other areas of your life! Remember, be specific! What are you wanting to learn? How will do it?
4. Get organized- A cluttered life is a hectic life. Check out these 25 ways to get organized in the New Year. With these specific ideas for each room of your house, you are sure to succeed!
5. Sleep more- Between smartphones, tablets, TVs, watches, glowing lights, work, and everything in between, a great night’s sleep can be hard to come by. Make a point to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night, as this is the amount your body needs to really thrive. How can you do this? Check out these 10 sleep habits to help!
6. Watch less TV- The average American watches 5 hours of TV a day. Want to get fit? Spend more time with friends and family? Master a new skill? Get organized? Step away from the TV.
7. Read more- With less time in front of the TV, you’ll have more time to read! Why read more? To gain knowledge, exercise your brain, improve yourself, become culturally aware, and the list goes on and on. Give yourself the chance to succeed with this resolution by always carrying a book with you (pick up the book instead of your phone!), listening to audiobooks, and reading just one book at a time.
8. Get out of debt- It’s incredibly difficult to move forward in life if you’re bogged down by debt. Financial freedom is worth the sacrifice and effort, so take the time to plan, budget, and pay off your debt. Dave Ramsey offers some great methods to do so.
9. Stop drinking soft drinks- The average American drinks around 56 gallons of soda each year. Loaded with sugar, aspartame, and caffeine, these drinks are even replacing water in some people’s diets! Here are 10 reasons you should give up soft drinks in 2016.
10. Focus on overall wellness- An improved number on the scale, an improved mile time, less soft drinks, and more sleep are all steps towards improving overall wellness. Chiropractic care can also help! By eliminating pressure on your nerves, reducing inflammation and fatigue, and restoring nerve flow, chiropractic can truly enable you to live the life you dream of in 2016!