Our body is made in such a way that it’s supposed to fight infections on its own. Whether it’s to neutralize pathogens when they enter the body or to act as a defense barrier, the part responsible is called the immune system. But, if the immune system is in charge of fighting infections, how comes we fall sick?
There can only be one explanation for this. You fall sick because your immune system is suppressed by the infection. A weak immune system is not a reliable protector against diseases. It allows pathogens to attack you easily. Thus, you can easily get cold or flu when you have a weak immune system.
Common Issues Affecting Your Immunity
The immune system comprises primarily immune cells (normally the white blood cell). It also contains tissues and organs that work together to protect your body from diseases. If any of the components has an issue, then the whole immune system may fail to work and this may spell a disease attack. Some of the issues that are likely to attack your immune system are:
- Allergies – Here, your immune system overreacts to a substance that’s ordinarily not a threat such as dust and pollen. The response by your body is accompanied by serious symptoms like rashes, headaches, and itchiness.
- Cancer – Here, your body has to do deal with tumor cells that constantly divide and double in population.
Other than the two, your body has to deal with immunodeficiency disorders and autoimmune infections. These conditions will overwhelm your body if your immune system lacks the muscles to initiate a fight.
Treatment Solutions for Immune Issues
Naturally, your immune system gets fighting muscles from the food you eat. This is why proper nutrition is highly recommended. However, in the event that the discussed immune issues take over your body, then you should consider a treatment solution. If you go to a doctor, they’ll prescribe medications that you can use to boost your immunity.
But still, you have to be wary of possible side reactions that come with most immunity-conferring drugs. So, if you are looking for a nondrug and low-risk treatment solution for your immunity, then you should consider chiropractic care. It’s safe and highly recommended by science.
Chiropractic vs. Immunity
You probably know a chiropractor to be an expert in alleviating pain and discomforts on the back, neck, and joints. If this is the case, you must be asking, “What does this expert have to do with the immunity?” Well, your immune system is directly connected to your nervous system. Remember, the spine is part of the nervous system. When it’s not properly aligned (an issue we call a subluxation), the flow of information between the brain (another part of the nervous system) and the immune system is hampered.
If your brain cannot direct your immune system on what to do in the event of infection because the spine (the main channel) is blocked, then your immunity becomes compromised. Now, a chiropractor steps in to remove the spinal misalignments by gently realigning your spine. As a result, the flow of information from the brain to the immune system is restored. Your immune system is now able to launch an attack against possible threats as instructed by the brain.
Ways Chiropractic Care Boosts Your Immunity
Since we’ve already answered how chiropractic through spinal adjustments is able to boost your immunity, it’s important to know the various ways that the adjustments improve your natural immunity. They include:
- Relieving body pressure – When your body is under any form of physical pressure, your nerves are compressed. As a result, the flow of information along the nerves is interfered with. Considering that there are nerves everywhere in the body, those along the spine and the immune system are also affected. Thus, your immune system becomes overwhelmed. A chiropractor is able to fix the problem by taking away pressure from the compressed nerves through gentle spinal manipulation. In the end, it’s not just your spine that receives relief but your physical body too.
- Relieving mental stress – Whether it’s extra pressure at work, family struggles or business not doing well, they are all potential stress triggers. You become stressed because a hormone called cortisol is released. The problem with this hormone is that it arrests all body functions, including your immunity, and brings them to a temporary halt. Fortunately, the hormone can be neutralized by chiropractic adjustments. The adjustments help to relieve your brain from mental stress and as a result, cortisol production is cut short.
- Stimulating immune cells – As mentioned, the immune system is a close ally of the nervous system. What affects one system also affects the other. Whenever there’s a disease attack in the body, your immune system is supposed to respond by releasing immune cells like neutrophils and phagocytes. However, if your immune system is compromised, then these cells will not be released optimally.
So, their activity will not be maximal. Going to see a chiropractor may actually help to stimulate their release and activity. Through chiropractic adjustments, their population at the site of attack improves since the channels of distribution are opened up. Thus, it becomes easy to neutralize the effects of a given disease.
- Boosts spinal health – At times, you may be having a spinal dysfunction that you are not aware of. In this case, the problem only manifests when you are unable to sit, bend or walk properly. Such an issue doesn’t just affect your body movements but also your immunity. If your spine is not healthy, don’t expect your immunity to be 100%.
The moment you come into contact with flu or cold when your immune system is less than 100%, you are likely to be put down by the infections. So, it’s advisable to go for chiropractic adjustments so that the expert can diagnose possible spinal dysfunctions and treat them. This’ll give you an enormous boost in as far as your natural immunity is concerned.
Chiropractic care is generally great for your immunity. So, if are weighing options to include in your lifestyle changes with the aim of boosting your immunity, then chiropractic care should be at the top of your list. As seen, your immune system needs this therapy and it’s all for the benefit of your body. Therefore, start scaring diseases away by booking an appointment with Dr. Hinz at Cool Springs Chiropractic today.